thanks to all for your responses... very helpful!

i've implemented a solution based on lorenzo's suggestion, and it works just fine! one further question:

since my slider is in a gui panel for the patch, with all the other code buried in subpatches, is there a way to get the slider's "send to float" out of view (other than just sticking it under the slider!)?

thanks again... cheers!
.pltk.

On 2014-05-09 07:22, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
On 09/05/2014 07:24, plutek infinity wrote:
[...]
i'm trying to control one numerical value in a few ways:

1. have a bang to set an initial value
2. have a slider for mouse control
3. use keyboard keys to increment and decrement
[...]

the problem is, of course, that if i connect the expr result back up to
the slider input, i get a loop with "stack overflow" errors.

See attached.

This indeed uses the IEM gui'trick' where if you set all sends and
receive to the same name in the properties they will be in sync.

Please disregard my previous message about crashing.. (I was
erroneously using a vanilla numberbox instead of the Number2 (IEM gui)
one).

Lorenzo.