On Tue, 2 May 2006, Mike Aubury wrote:

Looking at the return values for the pdcurses winnstr family of functions:

       All functions return OK on success and ERR on error.

Whereas the ncurses functions :

      All of the functions return ERR upon failure, or the number of
characters actually read into the string.

According to the standard:

 http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcurses/winnstr.html

 Upon successful completion, innstr(), mvinnstr(), mvwinnstr() and
 winnstr() return the number of characters actually read into the string.

 Otherwise, all these functions return ERR.

So ncurses' behavior is correct. It's interesting that the PDCurses comments list OK/ERR as the X/Open behavior; it's possible that was based on an earlier version of the standard. (Notice the compatibility charts all refer to "X/Open '88".) But I've been unable to find earlier versions online, so I don't know. (Just out of curiosity, does anyone out there have them? Tom?)

I'll correct PDCurses. Thanks.

--
William McBrine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>