Christine Aguila wrote:
On May 24, 2016, at 3:39 AM, Larry Colen<l...@red4est.com>  wrote:

At the last dance event I went to, I posted a shot of Jess King smiling, which
was rather nice, until I printed it out and saw how badly I missed focus. I put
some effort into doing a better job this time (using the 80-200 at f/2.8)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/27212764755/in/album-72157666290466954/

The expression here is so captivating, really nice, but I think the mic has a
heavy presence and upstages the wonderful portrait.  She’s such a great subject
to shoot—twinkle in the eye and all—really nice.

Thanks. I agree about the mic. Unfortunately she was either close enough to kiss it, or so far away that it wasn't even in the picture. It was really tough to get a shot that showed the mic, but not the exit sign behind her. Here's the one I almost posted, but you can't see that she's singing:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/27212762175/in/album-72157666290466954/

An impromtu jam after the solo dance competitions:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/27178627446/in/album-72157666290466954/

A couple of people dancing:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/27115926952/in/album-72157666290466954/

Clint Baker, the namesake of the band the Hot Baked Goods:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/27212760885/in/album-72157666290466954/

That’s nice, but I like this one better even though there are some challenges
here—mainly the guy in the lower left.  I might try to clone him out.  To me
this one has a stronger complete portrait and a tad more emotion.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/27212778975/in/album-72157666290466954/

Thanks, again I understand exactly what you're saying. I was considering those same points when choosing which photos.

In the one you posted, the angle of the head features more of the hat than the
facial area, so it doesn’t create enough interest for me.  But, true enough, it
doesn’t have images to the left or in the background, and the light is good, as
is the texture in the photograph.

Funny thing about shooting in crowds:  when trying to isolate a subject in a
crowd, there’s still a high tendency to get the ears and noses of those around
your subject.  I ran into this when shooting protest demonstrations.  Very
frustrating, but kind of a fun challenge to overcome when shooting.

I think you pretty much covered my challenges here, compounded by the fact that I'm hosting a dance workshop at my house, and people arrived last night, so I had limited time to spend processing. I wanted to get the photos out in a timely manner, so I just did what I could. I may come back and revisit a few later.

If anyone wants to poke around for photos that they think might be stronger, you should not need a facebook account to look at the larger set here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154283048209673.1073742168.653299672&type=1&l=bc84c8eac0

Cheers, Christine

The whole set:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157666290466954

C&  C appreciated, as always. I might even give your suggestions a try.

Interestingly, of the people photographing the event almost nobody was using
Canikon. Nicole and I were shooting Pentax, Scott had is u4/3 and a fixed lens
sony FF mirrorless, and Richard was using fuji.  One afternoon, I saw someone
that I didn't recognize taking some pictures of classes, and he was wearing a
fancy harness with two big Canons hanging off it. The videographer hand a Canon
5D, but I didn't see him shooting any stills.