I’ve settled on a technique that I think is best for shooting small birds with
my gear. I used the K-1, DFA 150-450 and the DA 1.4X converter with the camera
in crop mode. All were shot off the tripod, f8, 1/1000th. This setup gives me
real tight framing and plenty of buffer space, given the smaller files. I could
shoot the same setup full frame, as the 1.4 converter causes only minor
vignetting, but I would end up cropping to something like this anyway. The only
thing I’m going to change from what I did here is reduce the shutter speed to
1/500th. Shooting in TAV mode, most of these ended up at ISO 12,800. The noise
is manageable but I think I can improve on it without any sharpness problems as
long as I keep the camera on the tripod.

http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1091926