Shot an on-roadl radio control scale auto race for fuel burning cars yesterday.
Mostly just to provide some pics for my old pals, but also for the practice it
provides. It’s far more difficult than shooting real motorsports, as the cars
are incredibly fast and not very big. The fastest, the 1/8th scale cars, are
about 15 inches long and can accelerate to 60 in 2 seconds from a standing
start. They top out at about 80 mph at the end of the straightaway. I shot most
of it at a 1/8000th shutter speed and concentrated on getting something in
frame and focused. I used continuous autofocus and it worked when I framed the
shots right. I tried a couple of slower shutter pans and partially succeeded on
one, although it’s not critically sharp. Hard to be smooth, moving the camera
that fast. Lots of fun in any case. A gallery is here:
http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1093049