On 1/16/2017 9:13 AM, Morris Galloway wrote:
Had the same headline in our morning paper.  Back when it was not an
animal rights statement, nor was it P.C., my mother took me and my
little sister to see the Ringling Brothers circus when it was still a
Big Top. They stopped their train by an open field in downtown Oklahoma
City by a railroad siding, pitched a GIANT tent, had some smaller tents
with 'side shows' and put on a fantastic Three Ring circus where there
was something going on all the time in all three rings, if I can
remember back over fifty years, except when the human cannonball shot
from the cannon and landed in the net. There were aerialists, both high
wire walkers, and trapeze artists, men getting into cages with growling
lions, and I thought, at my young age, that the elephants were doing
what they did in a fair exchange for regular food, no predators
harassing or perhaps killing the calves, medical issues being taken care
of quickly, because  replacements were expensive and then had to be
trained, and there was quiet a size and strength discrepancy that could
have proven to be awkward for the trainers, should push come to shove.
But that was the late 1940's and early 1950's.   There were jugglers,
knife throwers, and so many things going on at once I thought my head
would swivel off. We thought it was grand.

Yeah, that was what I thought of when I read the news.

As far as allegations of animal abuse against Ringling Brothers, PETA is
anything *BUT* ethical.