On 2/22/2017 11:36 AM, Mark Roberts wrote:
John wrote:

Or else Google translate just has a dirty mind.

What I need explained is why new lenses are so much longer than the old
ones of the same focal length?

Every lens design is the result of many compromises: Small vs. large,
expensive vs. cheap, tack-sharp vs. just-sharp-enough. As sensor
resolution (and pixel peeping) increase it pushes lens designers
towards ever more demanding optical requirements and something has to
give — in this case it's size/weight. So we gain optical resolution
and lose light weight and compactness. Reducing light falloff in the
corners generally requires larger diameter lenses and in the age of
pixel-peeping people are more critical of that than ever (which is odd
because it's easier than ever to correct in post).

My old A15/3.5 has a stop or more of light fall off in the corners. It was no big deal to write an action that can be applied to those images. I suspect it's not much more problem to teach Lightroom to apply a correction on import, but I haven't bothered to try yet.