Philip Northeast wrote:

https://flic.kr/p/T5fdc1

1/5 crop of same scene taken with Pentax #pentaxK1 body and 21st century
Zeiss planar T*f1.4 50mm at f8 and a mid 1970's Pentax M series 55mm
also at f8. The result may surprise.

I take it that the pentax is the bottom one?

There are so many complications to lens design, I wonder how they compare at f/1.8. The Zeiss may have some significant strengths other than sharpness at f/8 that the Pentax completely lacks.

I take it they were both tripod mounted, 2 second delay and focused in live view, zoomed all of the way in with focus peaking.