John Sessoms wrote:

But that got me thinking overnight & I decided to submit a more general
question to the group wisdom.

Given a new photographer who already has a "pro-sumer" DSLR, what advice
would you give him/her regarding BASIC kit?

... after I suggest a good, solid tripod.

Watching the advice stream by, most of it is discussing what someone needs to do to become the best possible photographer, without actually considering what his goals are, or how much effort (never mind money) he wants to devote to the pursuit, which is actually orthogonal to the OP question of their basic (*) kit.

Along that line, I'd suggest that he first go out and have fun playing with his camera, figure out what he enjoys doing, what his goals as a photographer are, and how much time, money and effort he wants to spend pursuing his goals.

In the 80s-90s my mom, who told us that she couldn't even see through a viewfinder when Dad and I had a darkroom before they divorced, got into photography. She covered the walls with prints of rather mediocre cliche photos, taken with minimal technical ability. However, she had a lot of fun, and was very happy with her work.

It is entirely possible that this fellow can have has much fun with the kit he has and not investing the effort to achieve professional levels of competence.