I give the Tokina 400 f5.6 high marks. Excellent on APS C and also on the K1. I have the one with the red SD on it. IIRC about $350 on ebay for my current one. I bought one new in the late 90's for considerably more, but that lens developed fungus.

On K3:

http://www.markcassino.com/b2evolution/index.php/testing-the-pentax-k-3

On K1:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markcassino/32988697811/

When my first Tokina 400 was out of commission I bought a SIgma 135-400, f4.5-5.6 for something like $300. It was good even at 400 on the K5 but the edge sharpness drops off terribly on the K1. Best example I've seen so far of a lens that works well within the APC sweet spot but not on FF. If you are looking for something to be used on APC C this might be a contender. The version I have is the film version - no DG coatings - so a newer one might be better. Samples with the Sigma:

http://www.markcassino.com/b2evolution/index.php/zoo-snaps-1

I've been seeing the Tokina ATX 400, Sigma APO 400 macro, and FA* 400's on ebay fairly often in recent months. There seem to more FA* 400's for sale on ebay now than when they were actually in production, though they are pretty pricey.

Mark