Yes, dual clutch transmissions with two gear sets are terrific, but too
expensive thus far for entry level or even midrange cars. The best ones, like
those on the AMG-Mercedes premium vehicles, allow downshifts that skip a couple
of ranges and do rev matching as you go into the lower gear. That’s pretty
awesome. The multi-disc clutch pack automatics are decent as well, and at least
get rid of the inefficient torque converter. I too like a manual trans for all
except heavy traffic commuting, which I no longer have to do. But I recall
spending a month with a project truck, a Mazda diesel that I had fitted with a
turbo, while commuting from central Jersey to NY through the Lincoln Tunnel. My
knee was never the same. :-)
Paul