Dear Joe,

It may satisfy you then to know that yesterday on conclusion I wrote the following in that part of my book that refers to the Kant and Peirce quotes we discussed:

"Clearly, this is an integrative view and appears to place epistemological primacy in signs. However, a broader familiarity with their literature leads us to believe that neither had refined the question as sharply as Rudolf Carnap. If they had done so, they may well have agreed."

With respect,
Steven