Thanks, Jim!

On 9/8/06, Jim Piat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jeffrey Grace wrote:

>>It struck me as Peirceian because, if I'm not mistaken, Peirce denied that there was such a thing as "introspection".  He also seemed to affirm the idea that individuals are "less real" than generality... or rather that all individuals are instances of general categories and therefore less real as individuals.  I also get the impression that what we call mind or subjective experience is more objective or public than we realize... and this seems to coincide with Dennett's heterophenomenology...the idea that an objective observer might be able to read someone's subjective experience better than the subject him/herself>>.

Dear, Jeffrey,

I can't find the Justice Holmes quote about the plain meaning of words vs one's subjective intent that I thought was so apt to your comments  -- but do want to say I think you make a very good point.  In fact, recently I was thinking about Dennett's homunculus/theater of the mind metaphor in conjunction with the  "infinite regression" criticism sometimes leveled against Peirce theory of signs.  My idea was that a theater of the mind need only go three levels deep to cover all the possiblities (but that's for another discussion and only tangentially related to the point you are making).  Just now I merely want to say that I think you capture something very important about Peirce's views and also maybe something about Denett's that he may not realize himself.  Surely Peirce's ideas on pragmatism gave impetus to the objective thrust that so captured law, psychology and philosophy in the early 1900s.  And Dennett is indebted to this tradition.

All said with respect and admiration for the counterpoints of Steven and Gary.  That's part of what I find so appealing and impressive about Peirce -- that he identified both what is best and what is worst in behaviorism.

Cheers,
Jim Piat
---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   R. Jeffrey Grace
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]