My six year old daughter (who posed a question about "nothing" some time ago) has been reading at a six year olds level for about a year now (thankfully unremarkable). She came to me recently and said "I learned that words are made of letters at school today". I said "Grace, you have been reading for some time now, and you have known the alphabet for three years, you knew that letters were in words". She replies "But, I didn't know that words were made (I am unsure how she perceives "made") of letters".
     Knowing that words have letters does not, in the eyes of a six year old, necessarily mean that words are made of letters.

Dear Darrel,

This is a priceless exchange.  Your daughter strikes me as a born philosopher and so does her dad.  Not that I know either what makes or is in a philosopher.  Inquiry maybe.

Best wishes and thanks for keeping us Peirce listers posted,
Jim Piat