From: Jim Piat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Peirce Discussion Forum <peirce-l@lyris.ttu.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 9:54:25 AM
Subject: [peirce-l] Re: What "fundamental psychological laws" is Peirce referring to?

Dear Joe,

I agree with your characterization of the scientific method as including the distinctive elements of the other three.  You have clarified the issue in a way that is very helpful to me.  I agree as well that taken individually each of the lst three methods (tenacity, authority and reason)  can lead to disaster.  So, without going into all the details let me just sum up by saying I agree with you and that includes your cautions about my misleading metaphors, etc.  Thanks for two very helpful posts.

Picking up on your suggestion of a possible hierachical relationship between the methods I have been thinking about some of their possible connections with Peirce's categories.  Again, my ideas on this are vague and meant only to be suggestive and I look forward to your thoughts.  First, very roughly,  it strikes me that iconicity is the crux of direct apprehension of reality.  In essence perception is the process by which one becomes impressed with (or attunded to)  the form of reality.  In effect a kind of resonance is established by which subject and environment become similar.  This I think accounts for the conviction we all have that in some fundamental way what we perceive "is"  the case -- which I think is in part the explanation for the method of tenacity.    Second is the notion of otherness or dissimilarity.  The existance of resistance which we experience as the will of others or as the limits of our own wills.   Third is the notion of thought or reason by which one is able to mediate between these two modes of existence.  Unfortunately, as you point out, one can get lost in thought (or without it) and thus we are best served not by some form of degenerate representation (minimizing either the iconic, indexical -- or mediative component) but by a full blown common sense form of reasoning or inquiry that has been formalized as the scientific method.    So, to recap  -- method one is a form of overly iconic settlement, method two a over-reaction in the direction of excessively referentially settlement, and method three an overly rationalistic form of settlement at the expense of the other two.

I think that Peirce did not intend that we take the lst three methods as examples of belief fixation which folks actually employ in their pure form.  By itself each method is not a example of symbolic or representational thought but of something more akin to a degenerative form of representation.   So,  I think Peirce intended them as exaggerations in order to illustrate degenerative ways of representation and inaequate ways of belief fixation or settlement of doubt.   What he did was to describe the three modes of being involved in representation (the fourth method) as isolated forms of belief settlement.  The result of course was a bit of a stretch or caricature of the degenerative ways in which we distort common sense in the settlement of our doubts.   Because we are in fact symbols using symbols we can in theory come up with all sorts of false possiblities  -- which is part of what makes thinking about thinking so difficult.  Even erroneous thinking or representation involves representation.  Sometimes we build sand castles in the air and pretend we are on the beach pretending the waves will never come.

Again, just some vague notions   -- I can't help but feel that in the case of Peirce his categories are properly and consistently the foundation of all he says.

Jim Piat

-------
Joe wrote:

"But I would disagree with this part of what you say, Jim.  Considered simply as methods in their own rights, I don't think one wants to speak of them as being incorporated AS methods within the fourth method.  As a methodic approach to answering questions the method of tenacity is surely just a kind of stupidity, and it seems to me that the turn to authority, not qualified by any further considerations -- such as, say, doing so because there is some reason to think that the authority is actually in a better position to know than one is -- apart, I say, from that sort of qualification, the turn to authority as one's method seems little more intelligent than the method of tenacity, regarded in a simplistic way.  The  third method, supposing that it is understood as the acceptance of something because it ties in with -- coheres with -- a system of ideas already accepted, does seem more intelligent because it is based on the properties of ideas, which is surely more sophisticated than acceptance which is oblivious of considerations of coherence.   But it is also the method of the paranoid, who might reasonably be said to be unintelligent to a dangerous degree at times.   But I think that what you say in your other message doesn't commit you to regarding the methods themselves as "building blocks", which is a mistaken metaphor here.  It is rather that what each of them respectively appeals to is indeed something to which the fourth method appeals: the value of self-identity, the value of identification (suitably qualified) with others. the value of recognition of a universe -- all of which are redeemed as valuable in the fourth method by the addition of the appeal to the force majeure of the real given the right sort of conditions, i.e. objectiviy."

Joe

[EMAIL PROTECTED]/

---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]