>>I'm not the one doing the reifying. It's the
people in the U.S. who do so. If the left ever
wants to get anywhere, it needs to be conscious
of political opinion (without kow-towing to it).

The Bill of Rights wasn't "given." It represents
a victory of the more plebian social forces of
the age (an era before the rise of the
proletariat).<<

Why don't you cite just one opinion poll that
supports your assertion--at least that way I'll
have something of substance to rip to shreds.
Otherwise, I'm not even sure its our little
doggies that are being wagged.

By the time the Bill of Rights was written up,
the course of the American Revolution was a quite
conservative thing. Note, too, how quickly those
rights were taken away once the new republic hit
its first crisis.

Michael, don't be too disappointed that it
degenerated into rhetorical debate. It started
when you posted. That's the nature of the beast.
I will say, well, the Sandanistas stood up to the
US and look what it got them--a Clash 3 disk l.p.
named after them and the start of urban guerilla
chic.

CJ