Re: Loath by the rich: Why Hugo Chavez is heading for a stunning victory
by Perelman, Michael
08 August 2004 03:03 UTC < < <

Right wing polls show Chavez loosing.  Isn't that correct,
Michael L?
With the possibility of fraud, can we really expect a victory?
-----------
Michael,
        All recent
polls show Chavez being successful in beating off yet another attack by
the Right. (The most recent has the 'No' vote at 63%, and no polls will
be published after today.) Keeping in mind, though, the fact that in a
highly polarised situation, people (especially in Chavist barrios) may
not be revealing their real intentions (and remembering Nicaragua), it's
best to stress the importance of pessimism of the intellect, optimism of
the will. The latter is evidenced by the growing organisation of Chavists
at the base (unevenly, to be sure) and the determination not to let this
be stolen by fraud on 15A. A very strong statement from the April 13th
movement that the workers of the informal sector will view a defeat at
this point as fraud and a statement from the head of the steelworkers
that there will be a general strike and a cutting off of oil shipments in
the event of fraud point to likely developments if the 'Yes' vote comes
out on top.
        And, now
comrades, I will put on my red 'No' shirt and will join the demonstration
that has begun to assemble (and which will probably continue to arrive
for a few more hours) in the vicinity of my apartment.
        in
solidarity,

michael

Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at
Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724