At 12:52 PM -0400 8/10/04, Marvin Gandall wrote:
But to imagine you can create strikes, demonstrations, and other
forms of mass activity in the streets through the sheer power of
ideas, where the conditions for those ideas to take root are largely
absent, strikes me as -- well, idealism.

You are setting up a straw man. No one has suggested here that we can organize a mass action even when and where there is no desire for such an action on the part of people. My posting was in response to the remark that militant demonstrations in the streets are "tactics of another era" and that protests that are more theatrical than militant are merely "marginal."