Marvin Gandall wrote:

I don't attach much credibility to what opportunistic politicians say in election campaigns -- particularly in Kerry's case, where he perceives his electoral fortunes, rightly or wrongly, to be dependent on adaptation to a segment of the voting population infected with a high degree of chauvinism.

Huh??? A clear majority of Americans now thinks the war was a mistake. Beyond that, 90 percent of the delegates at the DP convention thought the same thing. I wouldn't call Kerry an adaptationist at all. I would say that he is swimming against the stream. That is, if you exclude the sections of the United States that are outside the Washington, DC beltway and who don't have a signed autograph of Tim Russert.

But there's no evidence whatever that the Democratic leadership saw an
invasion of Iraq as a pressing necessity, much less that they were prepared
to break with their closest allies and the UN to initiate one.

I don't engage in alternative historical scenarios. I leave that to writers who think up plots like Germany defeating Great Britain in WWII, or Elvis alive and well in Albuquerque.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org