A young friend, about 20 or so, spent time in Iraq during his on-going 4
year enlistment in the Air Force.  He's now stationed in the states but
will go back to Iraq in February.

The conversation with him was depressing.  He denounced Kerry because of
his association with Jane Fonda -- and repeated the stories of Fonda --
totally bogus as I understand them -- of betraying prisoners in Hanoi.

He'd never heard that Bush was AWOL.

On another note, listening to the car radio up through the Chico area
and into Oregon, I heard Vietnam vets calling in to radio shows,
relaying the information that the post-war depression of many was
because they had been spit on when they came back.  No doubt they
believed what they were saying.  And of course they denounced Kerry
because of his post-Vietnam posture which several interpreted as an
attack on all who served in Vietnam.

The spin is frightening.

Gene Coyle