Marvin Gandall wrote:

> A spokesman for Al Sadr meanwhile told Agence France Presse
> early today that UN troops should be brought into Iraq to replace US forces,
> an unrealizable demand indicating the Mehdi Army is anticipating a fight.

Debate on demands of the anti-war movement has been frequently disrupted
by the inability of too many leftists to acknowledge that UN involvement
is an _unrealizable_ demand. The _only_ rational demand is immediate US
withdrawal without conditions.

Al Sadr has, I believe, made this suggestion before, but it has always
been obvious that it could not be a serious proposal. It is becoming
increasingly obvious that the only military strategy which could
maintain the U.S. in Iraq is that of "We had to destroy the
[village/city/nation] to save it." And as the account Marvin attaches
note, that is not a politically possible strategy in Iraq.

Leftists who look for complicated "solutions" to propose will look
increasingly foolish over the next several years.

Bring the troops home now!

Demand that now, and then we can boast in a few years of how prescient
we were, after all the complicated solutions turn out to be only
face-saving methods of disguising a u.s. retreat in disgrace.

Carrol