I am writing a program that will allow the starting and stopping of product
specific services and will simultaneously tail a log file and put the
contents in a richtext object.  I am using the Win32::Service and File::Tail
modules as well as Win32::GUI.  It is working out pretty well.  I was even
able to color code some key parts of the log tail so that errors show up
nicely in red etc. etc.  The only thing I'm having a problem with is when I
click the button to start or stop the service I end up using a while loop
for the tail.  The execution of the tail while loop locks the window object
in place and you can't minimize or move the window or click anything while
the tail is running.  I mentioned something like this earlier in the list
but had no code to show at the time.  Someone replied stating that I could
use the Timer function to divorce the tail process from the window
operations.  I have looked at the Timer documentation and can't seem to
figure out how it would help in this situation.  Any insight or alternate
suggestions would be great.  I have included the code but the services are
proprietary so you all won't get to see it actually working :-(.  You should
be able to run it and see the layout though (and the pretty start and stop
buttons I made).  The whole tail mess begins at the DaemonStart_Click
subroutine.

Adam W. Klaum

P.S.  I present myself as the eternal student and welcome any and all
criticism/suggestions to my code.  In other words,  if you see something
stupid feel free to tell me about it.

logrdr.zip