>have you tried this:
>
>     # change to red
>     $Textfield->Change( -background => [ 255, 0, 0 ] );
>     # repaint the control
>     $Textfield->InvalidateRect(1);
>
>hope this helps.

It's not working for me.  Not only that, but if I try change the background
color, it fails and the foreground color goes to black (I assume it's going
to the original setting, or maybe the Windows default setting) and I can't
change it anymore afterward.  Kind of odd.  BTW, it's not the InvalidateRect
that's causing this odd behaviour.

If anyone has succeeded in getting background color in a textfield to
change, please send me a copy of the code.  If it doesn't work for me, at
least I'll know it's something about my system.

My system information (from the System Properties dialog box):
Windws 95
4.00.950a
IE 5 5.50.4134.0600