Tom> Wherever you think you need one of these, try to think again.  Either
Tom> it's already in list context, in which case it's silly to put in
Tom> the list thing, or else there's always a better way to accomplish
Tom> whatever you're trying to do--which, as I have shown, can vary
Tom> greatly.

Tom> This proposal should be dropped.

Yeah, what Tom said.  Any time I've need a "single element" of some
"list value", I've had to think about which single element to pull
out.

Since there's no general rule for converting a scalar to a list
(there's only twenty or so specific rules :), there's no consistent
way to take this coerced "list in a scalar context" and wrangle it
back to a scalar!

"list" keyword.  Just say no.