To answer the parts that other people didn't answer:

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Max Froumentin wrote:

> Thanks for the responses. Let me comment on each here:
>
> > It is a normal form of an equation in Iran. In Afghanistan, also a
> > Persian speaking country, mathematical notations are expressed the
> > same way as in English.
>
> Even in primary school? When kids learn to write "1+2+3" do they start
> straight away to write mathematics left to right in the middle of
> right to left text?

Yes, that's what I remember.

> Another example is the division sign. Sometimes you see:
> ½, or 1/2, or 1:2, or 1÷2, or 1
>                               -
>                               2

The last two are used in elementary school, but then in higher
levels they fall back to 1/2 and 1
                                 -
                                 2

> I don't know the difference with Arabic either. But what I notice
> relative to English is that the limit sign is stretching. And I
> wonder if other common operators are the same. How about sine
> and cosine? Are they always written 'sin' and 'cos'. Are there local
> variations? (e.g. in French, 'tan' is written 'tg')

I've only seen a Persian operator for 'lim', and again, that's
only used in highschool textbooks, not academia.

> So the stretched 'limit' wouldn't always be stretched?

I think a common practice is to use a fixedsize 'lim' which
happens to be wider than the usual way the word is written.  The
word for 'lim' in Persian consists of only two letters, and that
may not be wideenough to make it clear what's going on, so they
typically use a stretched version.

> Max.

--behdad
http://behdad.org/