This is a response to a query about moldy leather.  I don’t think I’ve every
heard of chlorine dioxide - but when the instruction says:  "You
do not want to breathe the vapors before, during, or after
fumigation,”  I don’t need to know anything more!

There’s no need to bombard them with emails - I’ll put together whatever you
say and send it.  It’s hard to give conservators bad news about what they’ve
been recommending.

(I took out the names - I felt funny about spreading the names of either the
person who asked and the person who answered.)

Barbara

Begin forwarded message:

> Our MTS Handout on Safe Fumigation of Textiles Affected by Mold and Mildew
> can be downloaded from our website:
> http://www.museumtextiles.com/uploads/7/8/9/0/7890082/safe_fumigation_of_textiles.pdf
>

> It utilizes Chlorine Dioxide cartridges you can buy from a marine or hardware
> store.
>

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Marie Schlag <mtsch...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hello Listers,
>

> Please excuse cross-postings.
>

> A vegetable tanned leather doctor’s bag (1775- shoulder bag style) needs
> treatment for mold infestation.  The front flap has lost flexibility, is
> brittle and curled (see photo).
>

> I would appreciate your suggestions regarding the eradication of mold spores
> that may remain after mechanical removal is complete.
>

> In addition, is there a safe way to soften the front flap to return its
> characteristic flexibility?  Can a PEG 400 solution be safely utilized?
> Other suggestions?
>

> With appreciation for your collective knowledge,

> --
> Camille Myers Breeze, Director
> Museum Textile Services
> Andover, Massachusetts
> www.museumtextiles.com
> 978-474-9200
>
> Find us on Facebook and sign up to receive our eNewsletter.

Appelbaum & Himmelstein LLC
444 Central Park West
New York, NY  10025
212-666-4630 (voice)