All,

As one of the consortium who designed the Pest Trap and Mapping facility for
KeEMu, I would like to highlight that we (NHM and Smithsonian) are currently
developing a specification to deal with these exact issues.

It's all very well recording the regular survey of trap arrays around the
building to get an idea of background pest populations and distribution.  But
the data is restricted to fixed points. We would wish to enhance that status
with adhoc sightings and collection surveys in order to be more pro-active in
identifying the hotspots at any time.

By being able to overlay the spatial distribution of pest trap data, adhoc
sightings (inside and outside collection cabinets) and periodic collection
surveys we should have a more thorough impression of the pest distribution and
its dynamic within the museum space, and the potential risk it poses to high
susceptible materials.

The specification is very much draft at the moment, but will soon be released
to the EMu Forum for a wider audience participation, for those who are
interested.

regards

Dave Smith

Earth Science Digital Collections Manager

Natural History Museum, London.