This is a message from the Museumpests.net  List.
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.

It’s interesting that hydroprene (Gentrol) was developed and tested on
hemimetabolous insects; Methoprene (Precor) on holometabolous insects (such as
beetles). Cockroaches and bed bugs are hemimetabolous, but Gentrol basically
had no effect at label dosages on bed bugs even though the early studies said
it did.  It has always worked well against cockroaches.  Methoprene was shown
to be efficacious against certain reduviid (Rhodnius) bugs and bed bugs, both
hemipterans and both hemimetabolous insects.  These particular IGRs are
supposed to translocate from original points of application, though I remember
hearing another word to explain about their movement in the environment.  With
respect to two related beetles, the cigarette beetle (Lasioderma serricorne) is
supposed to respond to Methoprene and not Hydroprene, while the drugstore
beetle (Stegobium paniceum) is supposed to be more responsive to Hydroprene.
Other stored product pests also respond to Hydroprene.
Insects always surprise us.
Lou

Louis N. Sorkin, B.C.E.
Entomologist, Arachnologist, Myriapodologist
Entomophagy Research
Division of Invertebrate Zoology|American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street|New York, New York 10024-5192
sor...@amnh.org<mailto:sor...@amnh.org>
212-769-5613 voice | 212-769-5277 fax | 917-953-0094 local pager

The New York Entomological Society, Inc.
www.nyentsoc.org<http://www.nyentsoc.org/>
n...@amnh.org<mailto:n...@amnh.org>