From: pestlist-ow...@museumpests.net [mailto:pestlist-ow...@museumpests.net] On
Behalf Of bugman22
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2016 1:06 PM
To: pestlist@museumpests.net
Subject: Re: [pestlist] Potential Flower Arrangement Pests

This is a message from the Museumpests.net  List.
To post to this list send it as an email to
pestlist@museumpests.net<mailto:pestlist@museumpests.net>
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.
As an entomologist and one who has spent his career setting up Integrated
Preventive Pest Management (IPPM) programs for museums, historic houses,
collections, libraries and archives around the world for the past 41 years, one
must consider what kinds of pests may be considered pests of collections or a
structure.

In reviewing the list, I would consider certain kinds of carpet beetle adults
(feed on pollen), cigarette beetles (feed on dried plant materials), and
drywood termites and wood-boring beetles (wooden natural materials and objects)
to be of concern.

Carpet beetle adults tend to feed on composites and bridal veil.  So
chrysanthemums and daisies might be of concern.  However, if we are talking
about cut flowers, I do not consider even these to be a problem.  When a carpet
beetle adult is disturbed, it folds its legs and antennae into grooves of its
body and rolls off the flower like a lead shot or B-B.  Or they may just spread
their wings and fly away as the flower is being cut.  Roses, tulips, daffodils,
and all sorts of other kinds of flowers would be fine.

Cigarette beetles are often found infesting dried flower arrangements and dried
plant material on display, such as a string of dried chile peppers.  The are
also a "bookworm" where the larvae feed on the glue of the binding.  And they
often feed on paper mache items, such as mortuary masks and puppets.

Wood-destroying insects should be considered when felled logs and branches are
being considered.  Powderpost beetles should be considered when donated
furniture arrives from Aunt Ida's basement or attic.  Or the contents of a
cobbler's shop.

What is equally important is what kinds of traveling exhibitions and temporary
demonstrations does management allow.  For instance, never allow a weaver to
set up shop in a museum; these well-intentioned demonstrations often infest
museums with webbing clothes moths.  And don't use real wool in your diorama of
pioneer life; use synthetic "wool".  The same goes for the importation of woven
woolen items into a museum shop.  Taxidermy mounts....ugh.

I can't think of any reason succulents are on the list, if we are just talking
about insect infestation.  The same goes for plastic or silk or waxed flowers.
Carpet beetles do not feed on plastic, silk, or waxed flowers.  Carpet beetle
larvae require keratin (an animal protein) in their diet; silk is a mineral
spun from the salivary glands of a moth larva.  It does not contain keratin,
even though you see time and again references to carpet beetles feeding on silk
in the literature; it's simply not true.  Silk damage is usually caused by UV
light and silverfish feeding on the sizing.

That brings me to silverfish.  Every time you receive a cardboard box into a
museum, you run the risk of importing silverfish inside the corrugations of the
box.  Box manufacturing plants are loaded with silverfish.  They feed on the
glue and labels.  So what is one supposed to do?  Nothing....that's life.
Insure you have a thorough IPPM program in your institution with lots of
glueboards.

Thomas A. Parker, PhD
610-348-9890 Cell
www.museumpestcontrol.com<http://www.museumpestcontrol.com>

This is a message from the Museumpests.net  List.
To post to this list send it as an email to
pestlist@museumpests.net<mailto:pestlist@museumpests.net>
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.
Hi Dawn,

We include this on our list to insure that all the arrangements are of quality
material.

Best,
Erika