Hi everyone,

I am doing a quick survey of other institutions policies when it comes to
pest management.  I work for a large national museum in Ottawa and we are
reviewing our policies. Our museum, like many others have begun hosting
large catered events as an additional source of revenue in these
challenging times.  We hire an external contractor to implement our pest
management program (apparently as a cost cutting measure), but are
disappointed in the results and the amount of our time which goes into
training these contractors. Does anyone out there have experience with
implementing policies around the expectations for these external
companies/contractors? OR do you have experience with implementing plans
which correlate to hosted/catered events?

We are also reviewing our freezing policies, and we tend to freeze
everything that comes in or out of collections and exhibit space, (building
materials, specimens, artifacts etc) as a pest infestation would be
devastating to our collection.  We are curious as to the freezing policies
other institutions have specifically around freezing non-collection
materials. Could anyone share their experiences?

A reply through pest-list is fine, but I'm also happy to discuss further
using era...@mus-nature.ca

Kindest regards,

Erika Range