This is a message from the Museumpests.net  List.
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.

Hi Johanna
As others have suggested, a specimen or magnified photo would be best to
get a definitive name, but looking at your pictures, I am quite sure that
the insect is a thrips (Thysanoptera). These insects regularly squeeze
themselves into picture frames (they have evolved to insert themselves into
very narrow spaces in the plants on which they feed). They will do no
damage themselves, but occasionally a dead thrips can act as a focal point
for mould, which may damage works on paper, so they are best removed from
the frames.
Best wishes
Tony

Dr A.G.Irwin