Von: pestlist-ow...@museumpests.net [mailto:pestlist-ow...@museumpests.net] Im
Auftrag von Tony Irwin
Gesendet: Freitag, 23. Juni 2017 15:48
An: pestlist@museumpests.net
Betreff: Re: [pestlist] Please help me with ID of insect

This is a message from the Museumpests.net  List.
To post to this list send it as an email to
pestlist@museumpests.net<mailto:pestlist@museumpests.net>
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.
Hi Johanna
As others have suggested, a specimen or magnified photo would be best to get a
definitive name, but looking at your pictures, I am quite sure that the insect
is a thrips (Thysanoptera). These insects regularly squeeze themselves into
picture frames (they have evolved to insert themselves into very narrow spaces
in the plants on which they feed). They will do no damage themselves, but
occasionally a dead thrips can act as a focal point for mould, which may damage
works on paper, so they are best removed from the frames.
Best wishes
Tony

Dr A.G.Irwin
47 The Avenues
Norwich
Norfolk NR2 3PH
England
mobile: +44(0)7880707834
phone: +44(0)1603 453524

On 23 June 2017 at 14:32, Jessica Lian Pace
This is a message from the Museumpests.net  List.
To post to this list send it as an email to
pestlist@museumpests.net<mailto:pestlist@museumpests.net>
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.
Hello Johanna,
Once you have the frame open, you can try using a piece of clear tape to
capture the insect.  If a standard microscope is not readily available, a
simple microscope attachment for the smartphone can be obtained for a very
reasonable price.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QLYPMZW?psc=1
Good luck!

Best,
Jessica

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 8:42 AM, Diehl Johanna
This is a message from the Museumpests.net  List.
To post to this list send it as an email to
pestlist@museumpests.net<mailto:pestlist@museumpests.net>
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.
Sorry!!

This is a message from the Museumpests.net  List.
To post to this list send it as an email to
pestlist@museumpests.net<mailto:pestlist@museumpests.net>
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.
Dear Rich,
attached some more pictures. Have you any ideas?
The insects move, that means they are alive and they are very small (2mm). But
we will open the pictureframe anyway to get a further view on the problem.
Thanks
Johanna
Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien

Mag. Johanna Diehl
Restauratorin
Kunstkammer & Schatzkammer

T +43 1 525 24 - 4420<tel:+43%201%20525244420>
F +43 1 525 24 - 4499<tel:+43%201%20525244499>
M +43 699 181 13 355<tel:+43%20699%2018113355>
johanna.di...@khm.at<mailto:johanna.di...@khm.at>
www.khm.at<http://www.khm.at/>

KHM-Museumsverband,
Wissenschaftliche Anstalt öffentlichen Rechts

Burgring 5, 1010 Wien, Österreich
____________

This is a message from the Museumpests.net  List.
To post to this list send it as an email to
pestlist@museumpests.net<mailto:pestlist@museumpests.net>
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.
Johanna,

The images are not of sufficient resolution or magnification to allow for an
answer with any assurance. Please try to find a way to obtain better images.
Alternatively, sample the physical material and consider submitting it for
evaluation.

Best regards,
Rich

Richard Pollack, PhD.<mailto:r...@identify.us.com>
President & Chief Scientific Officer
IdentifyUS, LLC
320 Needham Street
Suite 200
Newton, MA 02464-1593
------------------
617.600.6360<tel:(617)%20600-6360>  (W)
617.513.9266<tel:(617)%20513-9266>  (M)
[cid:image001.png@01D2EE68.F91EF210]<http://twitter.com/IdentifyUS>
<http://twitter.com/IdentifyUS> [cid:image002.png@01D2EE68.F91EF210]
<http://www.facebook.com/IdentifyUS>  <http://www.facebook.com/IdentifyUS>
[cid:image003.png@01D2EE68.F91EF210]
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/richard-pollack/7/899/681>
<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/richard-pollack/7/899/681>
[cid:image004.png@01D2EE68.F91EF210] <http://idmybug.tumblr.com/>
<http://idmybug.tumblr.com/> [cid:image005.png@01D2EE68.F91EF210]
[cid:image006.png@01D2EE68.F91EF210] <http://quora.com/Rich-Pollack>
<http://quora.com/Rich-Pollack>[cid:image007.png@01D2EE68.F91EF210]<https://identify.us.com/>[cid:image008.png@01D2EE68.F91EF210]<https://identify.us.com/support-topics/spec-eval-forms/spec-eval-form-en.html>

On Jun 23, 2017, at 5:20, Diehl Johanna
To post to this list send it as an email to
pestlist@museumpests.net<mailto:pestlist@museumpests.net>
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.
Dear pest-list members,
I found two very small insects (approximate only 2mm long) in a frame of an
aquarelle painting and some feeding traces. Could they be silverfishes? Please
help me with the ID…
Thank you very much!

Johanna

Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien

Mag. Johanna Diehl
Restauratorin
Kunstkammer & Schatzkammer

T +43 1 525 24 - 4420
F +43 1 525 24 - 4499<tel:+43%201%20525244499>
M +43 699 181 13 355<tel:+43%20699%2018113355>
johanna.di...@khm.at<mailto:johanna.di...@khm.at>
www.khm.at<http://www.khm.at/>

KHM-Museumsverband,
Wissenschaftliche Anstalt öffentlichen Rechts

Burgring 5, 1010 Wien, Österreich

<Insekt_Aquarell_SK.jpg><Insekt_Aquarell_SK_2.jpg><Insekt_Aquarell_SK_3.jpg><Insektenfrass_Aquarell_SK.jpg><Insektenfrass_Aquarell_SK_2.jpg>

Jessica Pace

Preventive Conservator
Barbara Goldsmith Preservation and Conservation Department
NYU Libraries
70 Washington Square South
New York, NY 10012
(212) 998-2518<tel:(212)%20998-2518>