On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 10:25:54AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> I note that you link to P10 and I am currently looking at 9.6.  The changes
> do look nice for partitioning for p10.

Yes sorry, pg10 is beta - avoid using it except for testing purposes.

> I will add currently we don't delete anything, we will keep adding to it.
>
> Also I am thinking my insert trigger becomes a lot smaller and easier if I
> leave it at yearly.
Note: the trigger function can either be a static function updated monthly (to
handle the next month), preferably with the most recent months tested first (so
a typical newly-inserted rows only goes through one if/case test).

Alternately, the trigger function can dynamically compute the table into which
to insert using plpgsql "format()" similar to here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-QUOTE-LITERAL-EXAMPLE

Justin