On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 8:19 PM, armand pirvu <armand.pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Just trying to put together the hot_standby setup
> All docs I read are pointing to use as prefered method to use
> pg_basebackup to set the base
> So far so good
> But
>
> psql postgres -c "select pg_start_backup('backup')"
> pg_basebackup -D /var/lib/pgsql/sample  -Ft -z -P
> psql postgres -c "select pg_stop_backup()"

pg_basebackup does the equivalent of pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup for
you.  It is not helpful, and might even sometimes be harmful, to do them
yourself when using pg_basebackup.

> Pretty much every where I looked at -x is not mentioned to be used
>
> So what gives ? What did I miss ? It's gotta be soomething

That certainly isn't my experience.  If you find sites that don't mention
-x, -X, or --xlog-method, then I would be reluctant to take any of that
site's other advice seriously.

But note that in version 10, -x will go away and the default will be
changed so that not specifying anything will be the same as -X stream.
 perhaps you are reading advice aimed at a future version.

Cheers,

Jeff