Thanks again. Yes. Madeleine was born in late May of 1888, so there are
some limitations with these stories.

  It does seem as if some of these accounts (of recording crying  babies)
have been, shall we say, "conflated." By the time of Miller's book  on Edison
(1931), the general version had been moved back to the era of the  first
(tinfoil) phonograph and utilizing Edison's first son Tom jr. (born  Jan
1876). That is the account preferred by the 1940 film ('Edison the  Man').

It would be helpful if we could find out if the crying child/tinfoil  had
any historical roots, or at least when it was first told as such (i.e. how
soon after 1878).

 Certainly by May 1894, in popular phonograph exhibitions, there  was
already a niche for a crying baby (and sometimes a soothing mother). And  even
some attempts to present Pres Cleveland's out of wedlock "baby"  (crying) on a
recording.

 Shall I/we assume that Gouraud's version in 1888 of a crying baby was
apparently anonymous (or just not identified)?

Allen
In a message dated 4/20/2016 6:48:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,