It is no doc string in the elisp sense even though function and syntax are
similar.

(de do_nothing () "Does nothing")

Does not behave as expected. It returns the evaluated transient symbol
"Does nothing".

(de return_null () "returns 0" 0)

(de muliply_increase_add (A B C) (let N (* A B) "N is A * B"  (inc 'N 1) "N
is increased by 1" (setq N (+ N C)) "Everything is done returning N now" N))

Is an extreme example which illustrates the trade-of both in terms of
handling return values and readability. Also be careful around @, @@, @@@
with these. The resulting code is also slower. Comments are often preferred
for that reason.