Ah, okay. Somehow in my mind I had reversed the meaning of "==" and "=".

@Joh-Tob: I am writing a text-adventure game, using a balanced binary
tree as the primary data structure for managing game data. I wrote my
own AA Tree implementation (with guidance from Wikipedia). I see the idx
and balance functions in PicoLisp reference, but my concern is I don't
see how you do with those an (efficient) self-balance after single
inserts to an existing tree, nor how to do self-balancing deletes from
an existing tree.

--
https://qlfiles.net