<snip>
If you get someone to put a micrometer on a needle, my
> experience indicates that an explanation of what you are
> trying to do is best kept to yourself ... unless you like
> the strange looks people generally give.
Harold
<snip>
Man, is that the truth.  When I went into the jewelry store and the two
hardware stores and started into "I'm making a pinhole camera..." they
looked at me blankly.  However, at the quilt store where I got some
"betweens" needles, she was hip.  A note:  there is actually (shock) one
needle manufacturer that labels their needles with the diameter!!  The sizes
of needles mean absolutely nothing, of course, but Clover labels their
needles with the diameter; the two packages I got have diameters of .51mm
and .46mm.
Chris