Hi Raphael,

Thanks for your kind words about the pmacct project.

In-line:

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 02:30:35PM +0200, Raphael Mazelier wrote:

> It's working well, but I wonder if it exists another, more
> clear/simpler method ? because I have to maintain the pretag.map.
> Or perhaps I could mix In an Out flux in the sql table (but make the
> table much bigger).

For sure you have to maintain a map to say what is input and what
is output - would be great to find a way that is as most static as
possible for you. What comes to mind for the purpose - all depends
whether you have downstream ASNs, get at least a BGP feed or get
src_as and dst_as populated from NetFlow, get MAC addresses from
NetFlow, etc. - is you can use ASNs, IP prefixes, MAC addresses or
interfaces (this last one is what you are doing at present).

For example, should you not have downstream ASNs and get src_as and
dst_as correctly populated by your router(s) via NetFlow you could
simply match input traffic as dst_as=0 and output traffic as src_as=0
in your pre_tag_map.

> Side question about pretag filter ? the "tag" field in sql is always
> at '0' ? This is not blocking but I wonder why ?

Is 'tag' part of your aggregation scheme, ie. 'aggregate' keyword
in your config? If not, then that's the reason and zero is simply
the default value imposed to the field in the SQL schema.

> Another question about BGP src_as and dst_as fields :
> Depending on the direction the src_as or the dst_as are correclty
> filled, but not the other which is always '0' ? I would assume that
> it will be my As number ? Should I have to deal with network filter
> ?

Correct, when the ASN is zero then it's traffic delivered to/sourced
by your own IP address space. You won't see your own ASN number being
filled in - just like you don't see it in your own BGP routing table.
But you can make some tricks, ie. use a networks_map, to do that. Let
me know if interested.