Hi,

I've been running pmacct for a while with PostgreSQL and it works well with
lots of netflow data presumably due to inbuilt handling of CIDR.

For various reasons we're migrating to a mySQL backend to integrate with our
billing/customer portal environment better and mySQL does not appear to deal
well with strings in complex reports.

We generate around 10GB of data per hour so when I want to do something like
select all the flows over a week and then spit out the top 50 AS sources, show
the total data from each of the top AS sources, and then the top 50 destination
IP's in our network that those AS's are sending data to, mySQL chokes for an
hour trying to work that out whereas PostgreSQL takes a few minutes but doesn't
struggle. I've played with indexes and got some improvement but nothing
significant.

I was looking into using ATON/NTOA functions in mySQL to store IP addresses as
integers instead which I expect should dramatically increase performance
especially when dealing with CIDR as I can query based on a range of integers.

As far as I can see pmacct doesn't seem to have an option to tell it to do its
INSERTs of ip_src and ip_dst with INET_ATON and INET6_ATON. Is there such an
option or a patch that exists? If not is there a reason why this would be a bad
idea?

-Scott
The content of this message and any attachments may be privileged, confidential
or sensitive. Any unauthorised used is prohibited. Views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender, except where stated otherwise with
appropriate authority. All pricing provided is valid at the time of writing
only and due to factors such as the exchange rate, may change without notice.
Sales are made subject to our Terms & Conditions, available on our website or
on request.