On 01/26/2013 08:37 PM, Karl Williamson wrote:
On 01/26/2013 07:44 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
Karl Williamson <pub...@khwilliamson.com> writes:
On 01/26/2013 02:23 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
Karl Williamson <pub...@khwilliamson.com> writes:

With Pod::Parser, you just do
    parse_from_file($in_fh, $out_fh)

and it outputs the pod to $out_fh.  Pod::Simple has a method of the
same
name which is supposed to emulate the Pod::Parser method, but when
I run
it, nothing is output.

Did you flush $out_fh?  Pod::Parser did that but Pod::Simple
doesn't, so
it's possible if you're doing something short that the entire output
was
still buffered.

Pod::Man and Pod::Text use this Pod::Simple method and do have test
suites
for it and it seems to work.

See the attached program.  The resultant file is 0 length.

Oh!  I misunderstood, sorry.  parse_from_file() does indeed invoke the
parser with the appropriate actions, but what you meant was that
Pod::Parser's "null" parser, when not subclassed, just printed the POD
back out again, so you could use it as a way to extract the POD from a
file.  I believe Pod::Simple's "null" parser does nothing at all, so you
get an empty file.

Yes.  I think that's an incompatibility.

If I turn on DEBUGing, it's doing a lot.  Is there some trivial way to
extract the pod?

So no one thinks there is a trivial way to get this extraction. Would someone make a suggestion as to the easiest way to do so using modules that will continue to ship with the Perl 5 core (unlike Pod::Parser)?