On 04/29/2016 04:33 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
Karl Williamson <pub...@khwilliamson.com> writes:

Rather than aborting parsing at the point where this occurs, I think it
should continue on, but generate an errors section, like it does for most
other errors.

This will cause a hard failure in pod2man and pod2text by default, since
they do not generate ERRORS sections by default (you have to request that
behavior with a flag).  They used to generate ERRORS sections, which made
people very unhappy because they didn't want their documents published
with sections saying the documents were bad, and after a lot of previous
discussion I changed the default to fail on generation.  (I'd really
rather not reverse that decision at this point.)

I'm not sure I understand what "fail on generation" means. I think it might mean just not generate a pod, rather than generate one with an error section. What I was intending was to add a scream() call. The only failure that I saw in Pod::Simple that stopped parsing was when it was clear the encoding of the pod was not understandable, so there was no point in continuing. So I don't understand what you do, unless it is to die on pod errors, or some such.

I tend to agree about not reversing your earlier decision.