http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/relrpt/audio/relrpt_20042005_2856.ram

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/relrpt/audio/relrpt_20042005_28M.asx

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/relrpt/stories/s1349547.htm

Bishop Mark Coleridge of Melbourne, Frances Kissling
of Catholics for a Free Choice, and historian Paul
Collins in Rome, comment on the election of Cardinal
Joseph Ratzinger as the new Pope Benedict XVI.

Program Transcript

Bishop Mark Coleridge on Pope Benedict XVI
Frances Kissling on Pope Benedict XVI
Paul Collins on Pope Benedict XVI

Noel Debien: Hello and welcome to the Religion Report.
Noel Debien here stepping in for our regular
presenters, Stephen Crittenden and David Rutledge.

The big story of the week is the new Pope, Benedict
XVI. And what a birthday present Cardinal Ratzinger
has received. The high drama of it has never been so
public or so transparent.

Cardinal Medina Estévez : Dear Brothers and Sisters.
Anuntio vobis gaudium magnum (cheers) Habemeus Papam.
(I announce to you with great joy, We have a Pope)

Noel Debien: The successor of Peter, the Universal
Shepherd and according to Roman Catholic teaching,
chosen under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

ORGAN/CHOIR

Noel Debien: Charles-Marie Widor’s great anthem, ‘You
are Peter and upon this rock I will build the church’.

For the first time ever, the TV Cameras are
transmitting just about everything the Vatican
Conclave had to offer

The world has never seen the likes of all that led up
this before; A megastar papacy, and a very public
suffering and death. And the publicity simply didn’t
stop when John Paul II died. Even from inside the
Sistine Chapel as the Cardinals entered and took their
oaths of secrecy. The Cameras were only locked out
after the oaths were completed.

Pope John Paul called the Vatican the “House of
Glass”. And the coverage we’ve seen is utterly
unprecedented. All live on TV, radio, and internet
streaming. All planned by Joaquin Navarro-Valls, the
first professional director the Vatican Press Office
has ever had; and who - like Pope John Paul who
appointed him - took the “means of social
communication” very seriously indeed.

Against many media predictions, the New Pope is a
Curial Cardinal. He entered the conclave as a
favourite – breaking the old Roman adage “He who
enters a Conclave a Pope, exits a Cardinal”. Cardinal
Ratzinger even looked a little bit like a Pope as he
entered the Conclave wearing the red stole almost
identical to one frequently worn by the late Pope.

His media persona is one of hard-line Orthodoxy. He
taught at the University of Tübingen with the famous
Hans Küng. His history included a brief period
drafted, along with his seminary class, into the Nazi
anti-aircraft corp in 1943. He also served in the
German Army until 1945. There are already those who
say that the main mistake the media has made about
Pope John-Paul II is that he was a Conservative.

What Can the World expect of this German theologian?

Bishop Mark Coleridge worked from 1998 in the Vatican
Secretariat of State.
In 2001, he became a chaplain to his late Holiness,
Pope John Paul. He returned to Australia 2002 to be
bishop in the Archdiocese of Melbourne. He has just
returned again from Rome.

Bishop Coleridge, at this early stage; what’s your
reaction to this new German Pope?

Mark Coleridge: The stereotypical image of him as this
ferocious right-winger or a fierce ideological
warrior, or a desperate man of the right, that is
very, very far from the mark. What you are dealing
with in Josef Ratzinger is a man of - first of all -
the highest intelligence and the broadest culture in
that grand European tradition. You are also dealing
with a man who is a man of deep personal grace; he’s
the most gracious of characters. He has a courtliness
about him, he doesn’t have the expanse of personality
of John Paul II, not even close to it, so that I think
in personal style this pontificate will prove to be a
very different kind of pontificate from John Paul II.

Ratzinger was a theologian in a university, a Don, and
there is a touch of the Don about him. He’s a more
restrained character, though he has about him a quiet
radiant humanity. In that sense he’s a very attractive
personality. But I think you can expect to see a
pontificate that is more restrained in personal style,
that will continue the deep intellectual and spiritual
trajectories of John Paul II’s pontificate, but which
will do so in a quite different style. And obviously
for a quite different length. I mean the Cardinals
have patently not opted for a youth policy.

I personally was surprised that Cardinal Ratzinger was
elected, mainly because of his age. He was the name
much mentioned, but I had thought at 78 he might be
considered too old. But the Vatican is full of fit old
men, and Josef Ratzinger is one of those. He may be
78, but he’s a small, fit man, and so whilst this
won’t be a 26 year pontificate, I think it may not be
the five minute job that some might either expect or
indeed want. But my feeling, or my suspicion at this
very early stage, is that the pontificate of Pope
Benedict XVI may turn out to be a very surprising
affair, and very different in all kinds of ways, from
the kind of pontificate that the stereotypical image
of Cardinal Ratzinger as this arch-conservative would
suggest. I think we might be in for quite a few
surprises both internally in the Roman Curia,
internally in the Catholic church, but also in the way
the church addresses the world of today.

Noel Debien: What sort of surprises are you
anticipating? You must have some idea in your mind.

Mark Coleridge: I only have a very sketchy idea at
this stage, but I think for instance, that a man of
Cardinal Ratzinger’s impeccably orthodox credentials,
is in a position to move on internal change. For
instance, in the Roman Curia, now I’m not saying that
the Roman Curia needs to be changed from top to
bottom, I don’t think that’s true, but I think
inevitably it’s a kind of structure that needs to be
adapted to changing circumstances.

Noel Debien: And this is an insider who knows how the
structure works?

Mark Coleridge: An insider who knows the Roman Curia
through and through and through. No-one could claim a
more sophisticated and profound knowledge of the way
it works. And in that sense, no-one is better poised
to take the great institution of the Roman Curia and
adapt it in ways that perhaps need to be adapted to
meet changing circumstances. John Paul II did it to
some extent, but questions that were strictly internal
to the church or the church’s bureaucracy, didn’t
really engage the energies of John Paul II. He was
much more a Pope ad extra, he was energised by
questions of how the church addresses the world, he
was always looking outside the church. Ratzinger may
well be a pope who looks more inside the church than
did John Paul II. And in all kinds of ways, with his
impeccable credentials, impeccably orthodox
credentials, Cardinal Ratzinger may have a freedom to
move that another pope with different credentials may
not have had quite. So in that sense I think
internally he may prove to be a pope other than many
expect.

The other thing is, you can never predict how a man
will grow into the office. No-one foresaw that John
Paul II would become the Titan that he did become. So
we just have to wait and see how Pope Benedict XVI
grows into the office, because very often the pressure
of the papacy brings to light things we haven’t
suspected, even in old popes like Benedict XVI.

Noel Debien: There is a sense in which those who
identify themselves as ‘progressives’ within the
church will have a certain anxiety.

Mark Coleridge: I think that’s certain, and I fully
understand that. The problem with those sorts of tags
however is that they tend to be a politicised model of
the church, and they understand the church as if it
were a political party. Now, that there has been a
political element in this election is clear, that’s
stating the obvious. That there is a political element
and a powerful one, in the Catholic church, and in
particular in the workings of the Holy See, that is
also stating the obvious. But to reduce this election
or the office of the pope or the Catholic church as a
whole, to a merely political reality, is again to miss
most of the mystery.

So tags like ‘progressive’, ‘liberal’, ‘moderate’,
tend to be far too simplistic, crude and politicised
to make sense of a much more mysterious and messy
phenomenon. I mean it was like the convenient media
tags applied to Cardinal Ratzinger when he was the
Prefect of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the
Faith, these were very crude attempts to describe
something quite complex in the man and in his
performance in the office. So I can understand that
people of more liberal and progressive instincts would
have a sense of apprehension perhaps. I think it’s
misplaced, and I think in fact they may be in for a
surprise.

But the other thing is, people need to have realistic
expectations of any pope. People who think that Pope
Benedict XVI or any other pope is going to come in and
overturn fundamental points of Catholic teaching are
simply chasing a mirage. There are certain things that
no pope can do. People talk about the pope as if he
were omnipotent, but this is not true. The papacy is
hedged in in all kinds of ways, so that neither
Benedict XVI nor any pope, could change fundamental
points of teaching. So I think in this sense, people
need to be realistic in the kind of expectations they
have, either of Pope Benedict XVI or any Catholic pope
for that matter.

Noel Debien: I think it would be fair to say that
you’re clearly no ultra-Montanist, but at the same
time there would be a sense in which we could expect
this pope to enforce orthodoxy, this is the tag he has
as one who asserts orthodoxy rigorously.

Mark Coleridge: That’s right. And I think we can
expect that, but then I would expect no less from any
pope. Any pope is the guardian of orthodoxy, that’s
essential to the apostolic office, but orthodoxy not
understood as it often is, as a kind of
straightjacket, that is destructive of human life, or
life-denying. I mean the path of orthodoxy as we
understand it, takes us back to Jesus Christ, and
therefore is a path of liberation, that in fact leads
us, albeit by a strange way, into the depth of
humanity that comes to us only in Jesus Christ. So
that some would use the word orthodoxy with pejorative
overtones. Any bishop or any pope or any Catholic for
that matter, who understands orthodoxy, you’re right,
would see it on the contrary as something profoundly
creative and liberating, so in that sense, to defend
the gospel is to defend orthodoxy, to proclaim the
gospel is to proclaim orthodoxy. So someone like
Ratzinger wouldn’t see a distinction between the
gospel of Jesus Christ and orthodoxy as understood and
taught by the Catholic church. Neither would I. So I
think again, to drive a wedge between the good news of
Jesus Christ and Catholic orthodoxy, is somehow to get
things wrong, to misunderstand both.

Noel Debien: I call to mind examples of those who were
brought into line under the past pontificate, the
Tissa Balasuriya’s, the Paul Collins’s of the world,
the Michael Morwoods of the world. This new pope is an
academic, he is an intellectual too. Can we expect
from him expansiveness - intellectually?

Mark Coleridge: Well I think yes. He’s always shown
that. He’s a man of profound intellectual power, and
anything he’s written suggests it. But many of those
have made up their mind about Josef Ratzinger have
never read a word that the man has written. This is a
man of high, high sophistication and intellectual
culture. So I think yes, we can expect a pope who will
engage the great currents of intellectual life around
the world, but not just in some small part of the
Western world. You see the poor old Western world, one
of its besetting problems is it thinks it’s the only
world that exists. Now Ratzinger has clearly had
problems, as did John Paul II, with certain element of
Western intellectual life. And that will continue,
that critique, but I mean it’s a critique made in
order to create, not to destroy. And I think in fact
this pope will turn out to be surprisingly perhaps to
some, a pope of dialogue. You see it’s interesting
that he’s taken the name Benedict, and these names are
always symbolic. The last Benedict was Benedict XV,
Giacomo de la Chiesa, who was pope during the First
World War, fascinating, given that we’ve got a German
pope.

Now what was Benedict XV in the First World War? He
was, in a sense, a voice crying in the wilderness. He
strove desperately to bring peace and reconciliation,
and I would suspect that in choosing the name
Benedict, Josef Ratzinger has in mind the figure of
Benedict XV, and the role he played, albeit too
briefly, that’s another fascinating element of
Benedict XV, he was pope for a short time. But in
those few years that he was pope, Benedict XV strove
mightily for peace and reconciliation, in an
apocalyptic time. Now again, I suspect the choice of
the name says that this is a pope who wants to choose
the way of peace and reconciliation on all fronts,
within the church, and even with those most unnerved
by his election. But also outside the church, because
he has to pursue the path of dialogue with other
religions, and dialogue with all and sundry outside
the church. No pope has a choice on that.

Noel Debien: Sandro Magister, who writes in ‘Inside
the Vatican’ is one of the pundits of this papal
election, and he suggested that Cardinal Ratzinger was
of the party which has identified modern Western
secular humanism as the real enemy. How right is he in
that?

Mark Coleridge: Well it’s hard for me to judge. I
think he’s right on certain elements. I don’t doubt
that Cardinal Ratzinger, like John Paul II again,
because again their conversations through the 26 years
of the pontificate, were crucial, and they shared so
many of these fundamental insights. Both men were, or
are, rather bleak in their account of contemporary
Western culture. It doesn’t mean to say they’re blind
to the triumphs and all that is positive in Western
culture, but at the same time they are not prepared to
write a carte blanche and say nothing. In other words,
what Ratzinger has offered as John Paul II did, is a
critique of ideology in all its forms. Now in the
first place, this would be a critique of communism and
fascism. But at the same time there are certain more
subtle ideological forces of work in the Western
world. And in a sense, Ratzinger has subjected those
ideological pressures to the same kind of critique.
And again, it’s not a knee-jerk critique that is
driven by ideological blindness or a kind of blind,
stupid religious faith, this is a critique that
Ratzinger has made consistently through the years.
Many find it too bleak, but few are prepared to deny
that it has truth of any kind. So it’s intellectually
grounded, it has been long and deeply pondered, so
that I think you will find that as pope, he will
continue the critique of ideology that we’ve seen so
strikingly in him through more than 20 years in his
service of John Paul II.

Noel Debien: He comes out of the German church, and
the German church that I know is a deeply liturgical
church, a more liturgical church certainly than
Australia is, strong in music, strong in tradition,
conservative.

Mark Coleridge: True, as German culture is generally,
as European culture is generally, but certainly in
Germany. And Ratzinger has made it very clear that he
thinks that we have problems on our hands in the area
of the church’s worship. He has been a very vocal
critic of the banality of much Catholic worship, in
particular, music, because he is a musician, he’s a
beautiful pianist, which is part of what I mean when I
say he’s a man of high European culture. So I suspect
that the church’s liturgy may well be one of the areas
to which he turns with particular energy and attention
in his pontificate, because it’s all there in what
he’s written, the critique of much contemporary
worship, which he finds banal, one-dimensional, and
inadequate to the mystery that the church celebrates
at the altar. So that would be one of my guesses, is
that the church’s liturgy, the church’s music, the
language we use in worship, that he will be much more
engaged by those questions than was John Paul II,
because again, those liturgical questions were not
something that engaged the deepest energies of John
Paul II.

Noel Debien: Are you predicting that this is not a
pontificate for the Medical Missionary sisters and the
St Louis Jesuits?

Mark Coleridge: I would have to say it’s unlikely to
be a thriving pontificate for either. But nor will it
be draconian. This is a man of reasonableness, a man
who is prepared to sit down and talk with anyone, and
in fact many of those who are most strongly critical
of him are those who are far less given to dialogue,
in my own experience, than is Ratzinger himself.

Noel Debien: Bishop Mark Coleridge, thanks for joining
The Religion Report.

Mark Coleridge: Thank you very much indeed.

Noel Debien: Bishop Mark Coleridge there, the
Auxiliary Catholic Bishop of Melbourne, and Mark
worked from 1998 in the Vatican Secretariat of State.

Veni Creator Spiritus, mentes tuorum visita…

Noel Debien: The hymn, Veni Creatus Spiritus, sung at
the beginning of the Papal Conclave to invoke the Holy
Spirit.

Well earlier this week, French Cardinal Lustiger said
that the Conclave process is not political. He said
it’s really a process where the cardinals purify their
minds, get rid of distractions and arrive at a clear
recognition of a worthy candidate. It’s a very
spiritualised explanation. But for the ungodly press,
the Conclave is much more easily understood
politically. It was Eurocentric. 49% European to be
precise, and it has now produced another European
Pope. But it did change under John Paul II. He doubled
the representation of Eastern European Cardinals, now
up to 10%. Latin American representation has also been
bumped up slightly, by 1%.

Well the Holy Spirit may have inspired the cardinals
in their choice of a German pope, but perhaps not all
Catholics see it as such a charismatic choice.

On the line is Frances Kissling, President of
“Catholics for s free choice”; an American
Organisation supporting democratic reform in the
Catholic church; and particularly the rights of women
- including reproductive rights.

Frances Kissling, what avenues are left for
progressive Catholic movements?

Frances Kissling: It’s a great disappointment, and it
means a continued inability to really have any sort of
meaningful dialogue within the church, or to move
forward on many issues related to women’s rights
within the church. I mean we now have a new pope who
is very much cut in the mould of the old pope, and
that wasn’t very good for dialogue within the church,
and this will not be very good either.

Noel Debien: What avenues do you see for advancing the
issues that are dear to Catholics for a Free Choice,
women’s choice, reproductive rights?

Frances Kissling: I think the avenues are the avenues
of the people of the church. And we know that a very
significant majority of Catholic people believe that
they have a right to follow their conscience on these
issues, and believe that, and indeed are practising,
their faith in a way that they are comfortable with.
That is, they are using contraception, they are making
the decision to have an abortion when they believe
that is the morally correct decision for them, and I
think that what we will continue to see is a dichotomy
between the official church, the papacy and the
cardinals, who think one way, and the people who will
just continue to go on about their own business. This
is a sadder situation for the institutional church
than it is for ordinary people. Ordinary people have
found their way and found their consciences, but
unfortunately this means that the institutional
leadership of the church will be further alienated and
marginalised, and really not be listened to by
Catholic people.

Noel Debien: How will American Catholics react to the
election of this Pope?

Frances Kissling: Well this will be a particularly
bitter pill for American Catholics to swallow.
American Catholics, like European Catholics, tend to
be more progressive than conservative; in terms of
internal church issues. We have long hoped for a
papacy in Rome where the church would become more of a
mirror of the message of Jesus Christ which was the
message of equality, and we have seen Cardinal
Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, really be very
punitive and punishing to our own theologians in the
United States of America, to sisters in the United
States, to nuns in the United States in America, and
indeed even to Catholic politicians in the United
States of America. So this is not a Pope who many
Catholics in the US are going to consider ours.

Noel Debien: What options do American Catholics have
to remain practising and to remain faithful to their
own consciences?

Frances Kissling: Well the options have always been
there for Catholics. You know we live in the 21st
century in which the Vatican doesn’t have prisons, it
can’t burn us at the stake, and so for ordinary
Catholics it’s quite possible to do what we have done
all along, which is to practice our faith within the
church, to be spiritually connected to the sacraments,
and yet to go about our own business in terms of those
issues that relate to our sexual and reproductive
lives, and indeed to women I think that we may also
certainly find some Catholics for whom this is the
last straw, Some American Catholics will say “this is
the last straw, it’s time for me to worship in an
Episcopal church or a Lutheran church or some other
church”, or to stop going to church. So I think we
will hear a variety of responses. I think we certainly
also will see a growth in what in the United States is
a trend towards what we call house churches, where
Catholics who have similar understandings of what it
means to be a Catholic and to follow the message of
Jesus Christ, don’t go to church and simply hold
services privately on their own and in each other’s
homes, very much the way early Christians did.

Noel Debien: Effectively, American Catholics of the
progressive variety will vote with their feet?

Frances Kissling: I guess some of them certainly will
vote with their feet, and in a way I think the
interesting thing is that John Paul was Pope for such
a long time, and he had a great personal charisma and
great political clout, and there were many Catholics
who disagreed with him in terms of his positions, but
who still had enormous respect for him and thought of
him as a kind and compassionate person. I don’t think
Cardinal Ratzinger becomes Pope with that kind of good
feeling there for him, and therefore I think that
actually the level of resistance and outspokenness by
progressive Catholics is going to increase.

Noel Debien: Frances Kissling, thanks for your time.

Frances Kissling: My pleasure. Bye bye.

Noel Debien: Frances Kissling, President of the
American organisation, Catholics for a Free Choice.
Currently in London.

Paul Collins is a church historian, author and
specialist commentator on the papacy. Cardinal
Ratzinger called Paul Collins to account for his book
“Papal Power” in 1998, and accused the former
Missionary of the Sacred heart of holding “an
erroneous concept of papal infallibility”. The
election of Benedict the sixteenth is the election of
Paul’s chief Inquisitor. Paul remains a practising
Catholic, but resigned from priestly ministry in 1998.

Paul Collins, how do you respond to the election of
this German Pope?

Paul Collins: I’m somewhere between cautious pessimism
and cautious optimism. When I first heard when
Cardinal Medina Estevez who is the senior Cardinal
Deacon named “Josephus”, I knew that we had the
Josephus Ratzinger, and I must admit that I felt a
kind of a sense of pessimism. However when his name,
his Style, as it’s technically called, was announced,
Benedict XVI, I found myself changing a little bit and
moving in a more cautious optimistic direction,
because within Catholicism, things like names and
styles, they matter, they’re important, because it’s
if you like, a sacramental religion, it’s not so much
a religion, well it is about words and it’s about
concepts, but it’s also about style and the way things
are done, and they are often even deeper symbols from
the words and concepts used.

Noel Debien: Why the name Benedict?

Paul Collins: Well that’s the very interesting one. I
think it’s simply saying “I’m not John Paul III, I’m
not Paul VII, I’m not John XXIV, I’m someone
completely different”. I’m myself. So I think we are
going to see a serious change in style from that of
the papacy of Pope Wojty³a. Clearly Cardinal Ratzinger
is not a globetrotter and he’s not going to be someone
whose populist in that Pope John Paul II sense. I
think it’s going to be a short papacy, that’s quite
clear since no-one’s eternal, and this man turned 78
on Saturday. So, in other words I think the Cardinals
see him as a transitional pope. Clearly, he went into
the Conclave at somewhere between 35 and 50 votes,
they were the estimates that were here in Rome. He’s
obviously pulled in quite a few votes more because
there must have been at least some negotiation went on
to get those more moderate kind of Cardinals on side.
And it must have been done pretty quickly, because at
most there were 4, possibly 5, ballots, and that’s
pretty quick I think for a College that at the
beginning of last week, was seen as very divided.

Noel Debien: Are we to expect a Ratzinger that we
understand and know as Pope, or are we going to get
something new?

Paul Collins: I think that’s an important question.
Josef Ratzinger, the “Panzer” Cardinal, is no longer.
Pope Benedict XVI now exists. This is a man who comes
to the papacy with a clearly articulated policy, a
clearly articulated approach to things. The
interesting thing about that is that you can change
from when you’ve articulated something, if he was a
person without known or obvious opinions, then we’d
all be at sea. At least we know where this man stands,
and what I think he can do is move beyond and outside
of the kind of categories he’s already defined for
himself. So that’s the kind of source of my cautious
optimism, and there’s no doubt that he comes with a
big load to the papacy. I’ve already had several email
messages, one of which from a priest in Melbourne,
said “Where to from here? (question mark!)” You know,
that is a really serious question. It may be that
progressive Catholics and more open Catholics will
continue to be deeply disappointed, but I still
maintain a sense of cautious optimism. I may be a fool
in that, but I think that he’s signalling something to
us especially n the change of name.

Noel Debien: Paul Collins, former priest, broadcaster,
and author of “Papal Power” there on the line from
Rome.

And that bring the programme just about to an end.
Thanks for listening - and don’t forget to follow up
on all the papal election information on the web – a
transcript should be up by this afternoon at
abc.net.au/rn and follow the prompts to the Religion
Report.

Thanks to John Diamond for some high pressure Studio
Production today. I’m Noel Debien, and I’ll leave you
with a little music – this time by the German composer
Johannes Nucius – and the word, of course, are “Tu Es
Petrus”. You are Peter.

MUSIC

Guests on this program:
Mark Coleridge
Auxiliary Bishop of Melbourne
Frances Kissling
President, "Catholics for a Free Choice"
Dr Paul Collins
Broadcaster, and author of “Papal Power”

http://mail.yahoo.com

Would you Help a Child in need?
It is easier than you think.
Click Here to meet a Child you can help.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0Z9NuA/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM

"[M]y ministry is that of servus servorum Dei."
--Pope John Paul II (Ut Unum Sint, no. 88)

"And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock
I will build my church, and the powers of death
shall not prevail against it."
--Matthew 16:18
Yahoo! Groups Links