On Jun 5, 2010, at 11:39 AM, Wayne Davison wrote:

> Here's something that was recently fixed for the popt that is included
> with rsync: rejecting an arg to an option that doesn't take an arg.
>
> Attached is a patch.  A new error code, POPT_ERROR_UNWANTEDARG, was
> created to make the error message nice.  This handles both -l=value
> and --long-arg=value where neither one is supposed to take a value.

Hmm, so
        --foo=bar
returns POPT_ERROR_UNWANTEDARG but
        --foo bar
returns bar in the argument list?

The other way to "fix" the error is to morph "--foo=bar"
behavior to be identical to "--foo bar", i.e. an extra
argument failure.

Lemme muddle a bit about whether the two forms should be
treated differently or identically, that's purely a design
issue.

Both cases are an error no matter what. There's
nothing wrong with your patch whatsoever, just that it
introduces instant legacy incompatibility. *shrug*

Thanks for the patch.

(aside)
Anything you want to see in POPT 2.0? I'm collecting features ...

73 de Jeff
POPT Library                                           http://rpm5.org
Developer Communication List                       popt-devel@rpm5.org