Is the version of POX you're using more than two years old?  I think more
recent versions are unlikely to have this happen.

If your POX is old, you could update it (in which case, you'd probably want to
run  my fork of ripl/riplpox), or you could make the relevant change in your
local POX (I think it was a change to HELLO message processing in of_01.py in
early 2013).

Another way to fix this would be to configure OVS to use OpenFlow 1.0 only.
This should be something like...
ovs-vsctl set bridge br0 protocols=openflow10

Except instead of br0, you'll want to do it for every switch that Mininet
creates.  There may be an easy way to get Mininet to do this, but I don't know
it off the top of my head; you might try the Mininet list.  Or maybe there's a
way to make it the default for OVS; I don't know a way to do that off the top
of my head either; you might try the OVS list.

-- Murphy