Hello.

-[ Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:03:20AM +0200, Andreas Mueller ]----
>         while (1) {
>                 fev = pth_event(PTH_EVENT_FD | PTH_UNTIL_FD_READABLE, sock);
>                 tev = pth_event(PTH_EVENT_TIME, pth_timeout(timeout.tv_sec,
>                         timeout.tv_usec));
>                 ev = pth_event_concat(tev, fev, NULL);

This is not related to your problem, but as I understand pth event
facility, pth_event() malloc the event structure. So you should
pth_event_free the events at the end of the while loop.
If you just skipped this part of your code for the purpose of
building a minimal example, please ignore my remark.