On 2011-05-15 16:02, Colin Guthrie wrote:
'Twas brillig, and Jyri Sarha at 11/04/11 10:19 did gyre and gimble:
On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 20:20:40 +0200, David Henningsson
'Twas brillig, and o...@iki.fi at 08/04/11 15:18 did gyre and gimble:
From: Jyri Sarha<jyri.sa...@nokia.com>

Before this patch, if any of the paths in a path set do not
support HW volume then the HW volume is disabled for the whole
set. In some cases this is a bit drastic measure. For instance,
if all but one of the paths support HW volume and dB there no
problem to pretend that we have HW volume for the whole set. The
path without any mixers to control will just always return 0 dB
and the rest is handled by SW volume. This patch adds a flag to
the mapping section of profile set file to enables this behavior.

David, this sounds similar to your USB Headset issue from a couple days
ago... or am I just reading too much into the description?

Sort of - it just feels like neither of us has tried to do the right
thing so far - I added a workaround/quirk for a few devices, and this
patch adds a setting to turn something on and off.

I'd like it to "just work".

Or put in another way - what's the recommended default setting of this
new parameter, and why?

Target for my patch was to be non intrusive, but if you agree I can easily

change my patch to always behave like force-hw-volume flag was set to true
and remove the flag. It is even easier just to change the default for the
flag.

David, what's you're thinking on Jyri's suggestion here?

Not 100% sure on this one, what would be the reason why we would want the old behaviour?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic