On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 19:13 +1000, Gordon Wrigley wrote:
> Disclaimer: I appreciate that no one here is an IP lawyer and that any
> discussion doesn't count as legal advice.

sure. Please also don't take my statements as legal advise, btw :)
I know some good lawyers knowledgable in open source stuff,
one of them having been a programmer before, so they can
help if it comes to it :)

> Just so I'm clear, as I understand it, if execnet were GPL then:
> 1: It would still be free (beer) for us to use and abuse any way we
> choose internally as long as we aren't distributing anything related
> to it.
> 2: Any modifications we made to it and distributed would be subject to
> GPL or the alternate license.
> 3: Any code derived from it that we distributed would be subject to
> GPL or the alternate license.
> 4: Any code that imports it that we distribute would be subject to GPL
> or the alternate license.
> 5: Alternatively the LGPL picture would be the same except 4 wouldn't apply.
>
> Please correct me if any of that is wrong.

that's also my understanding.

> Assuming it is all correct then I have no problems with 1-3.
>
> Point 4 could be interesting, now the obvious scenario here would seem
> to be that we write some tool that uses execnet and wish to sell it
> and or make it publicly available. That scenario I have no problem
> with it is part and parcel of building things out of open source
> components. Indeed in that vein we have an internal tool that uses
> execnet that we are looking at distributing as open source. As you
> said "execnet presents a unique and valuable approach to glueing
> Python interpreters and doing rapid deployment". And the system we
> have built around it pushes that approach further and we would like to
> share that.

cool.  Curious i am :)

> But there is a more subtle example that concerns me, we are an
> embedded hardware company and use python (and more recently py lib) in
> our toolchain. Now imagine for the sake of discussion that we wanted
> to share some of that infrastructure with one of our B2B clients.
> Maybe we want to give them a drop of our testing infrastructure so
> they can use it to test products that contain our chips. I'm not sure
> if there is anything in the test infrastructure we would consider
> proprietary in that manner, but there definitely is in other areas of
> our infrastructure and py lib is becoming ever more popular
> internally. Under LGPL distributing this code in that manner would
> seem to be fine as we aren't distributing py lib or anything derived
> from it.

Are you telling your clients to pre-install py lib?

> What would be the implications of GPL licensing?

You might need a separate agreement then.

> and how do you see this scenario sitting with whatever
> alternate license you are considering?

All kinds of.  I am sure we can find some fitting scheme for
your case if GPL otherwise restricts your operations in
undesirable ways.

thanks for your clear and thoughtful response, btw.

best,
holger