This is a bit of a pie-in-the-sky idea...  but it occurred to me the other
day that there should be a standard way of organizing/packaging plugins
that provides for debugtoolbar support.

i.e., a standard style for creating a plugin that also has a debugtoolbar
panel (or other hook into the toolbar).

I don't think this would require any changes to the api, it would just be
an "official" standard for writing plugins.