As of a couple years ago I was under the impression pastedeploy was
maintained by alex gronholm. Is this no longer the case?

To add a repo to the Pylons Project you need more than commit access, but
also access to PyPI as well as the ability to redirect the docs to
something under the Pylons Project control. Not to mention you have to be
willing to keep maintaining it after it's in the org!